If you are playing real money online roulette for the first time, it may be confusing, so we have tried to simplify the game of roulette and listed the most important factors that you need to know.
For starters the roulette table has 36 numbers, plus one zero on European roulette tables and two zeroes on American roulette tables.
Other than the additional zero, American Roulette and European Roulette are the same in all other aspects. If we were to recommend one over the other though, we would suggest you play at the European Roulette table as the odds are better with there only being one zero.
But there are quite a few terms that you will come across that it is useful to know when playing roulette in an online casino.
The first steps is to choose an online casino that offers roulette. The best bet is to firstly choose your casino from a site like choiceonlinecasino online casino which has a good selection of roulette casinos.
Here are some of the common types of bet:
- Straight-up: A single number bet
- Split: A bet on two adjoining numbers
- Street: A bet on three numbers on a single horizontal line
- Corner: A bet on four numbers in a square layout
- Six line: A bet on two adjoining streets
- Trio: A bet on the intersecting point between 0, 1 and 2 or 0, 2 and 3
- Basket: A bet on 0, 1, 2 and 3 (single-zero layout only)
- Top line: A bet on 0, 00, 1, 2 and 3 (double-zero layout only)
- Snake bet: This is a special dozen bet on the following numbers – 1, 5, 9, 12, 14, 16, 19, 23, 27, 30, 32 and 34. Not all casinos allow the snake bet.
It is worth taking some time to study the odds of different bets, while noting that these are not what is paid out because there is a house edge in every casino.
For example, any single number (including 0 and 00) will have odds of 37/1 against winning, but the payout is only 35 to one.
Other Common Roulette Odds
Other common odds include:
- Split 19/1, basket 11.667/1, corner 8.5/1, top line 66/1, six line 5.33/1, column 2.167/1.
- Even-money bets like odd, even, red, black, 1 to 18 and 19 to 36 all have odds of 1.111/1. Because of the house edge, that makes the expected value on a $1 bet actually -$0.053.